Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Using the System File Checker to restore corrupt files

The System File Checker can be a useful tool to help out if core system files become missing or corrupt.

This tutorial will explain how to perform it using Windows XP.

Click on start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Once there type in sfc and a list of commands will be displayed giving you some options as to what to do.

Typically you want to then type in sfc /scannow to start an instant scan of the computer to check for files.

Basically at this point the scan process may take a good while and i suggest you do nothing on your computer while its scanning. If it encounters a problem it will let you know. You will also need your windows xp cd with the current service pack as is installed on your computer. For example if you have windows xp service pack 3 installed on your computer then you will need to use the windows xp service pack 3 cd!

In order to tell which service pack you have installed, simply right click on "My Computer" and select properties. Up will come a window with lots of information on it. You want where it says windows xp, a version like "home edition" or "professional edition" and then some where close to that will be a service pack number!

Need computer repair? click here to visit my support desk!

10 comments:

  1. Great tutorial, I actually have to perform this procedure on my PC, and I had very little idea of how until now! Thank you so much for this great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, now you tell me. I ditched my corrupt files assuming they were lost, and had to start from scratch. Little point in getting them back now, but it'll be good for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awsome i will look more into it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would do this but there's no hope. The damage on my pc has been done =\ Nice tutorial, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HMmm interesting, this way I avoid formatting

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didn't even know i could do this, going to have to try this if i need to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow.. now i can maintain the good health of my computer thanks!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. very interesting :D I'll follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to say thanks for the time you took in writing this post.Thank you for sharing this usefull information. Computer Repair Fort Lauderdale

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate your writing and definitely would like to share this useful information. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete